10 August 2006

Stages of life

Sometimes I feel like my life is one long music video. I sit inside myself and watch the world float by in musical waves. Sometimes the images are fuzzy, but always the flow is ongoing. And when there is real live music involved, well, the whole effect just somersaults! Like tonight. Sometimes, you see, it is good to go out on a school night because there is opportunity for learning. And if not learning, then at least remembering. Tonight, scuttled under a green and slouched on a couch I watched a stream of romantics strum their hearts on a little wooden platform. And I remembered that despite the various pretexts we put out there, all we really are is emotional beings trying desperately to read the map and plot the right path. And yes, sometimes the lyrics were trite while at other times one sat enthralled, drawn in by the presence of a gentle soul speaking truths - even if they were his truths only. But whether trite or truth, I have to admire these people for doing what I feel would be a very vulnerable exercise; sharing musings on life. And for a few minutes these people found their way into my life and sometimes, the power of a stage and a red light seemed strong enough to wrap us up in a momentary love-affair. And the pictures! The shadow of a mic moved as a bow across the heart of a gentle hat-wearing guitarist, turning the huckleberry finn himself into an instrument. And by his side, a glass of water on a once-velvet chair, seemed to me more art than article.

Yes, it was good to hear lyrics again. To have pace slowed down and lights turned low. Good to hear, to see and to be reminded.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well Miss Smit I am impressed with your article.Romantic, poet, artist I am not quite sure what to call you now but your writing is quite beautiful.

G

11:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home